To start with, I will give you a little insight into my previous eating patterns. Growing up with my parents having an Italian restaurant, Pizza, Pasta as well as lots of sweets were a day-to-day enjoyment throughout many years, which gradually became a habit. You might think that sounds like a dream having all of that on a daily basis, which certainly was nice as a child. However, being in my late 20s now, I had to face what many of us know quite well; tiredness, laziness and just not enough power for my daily routine.
My body was giving me warn signals and I decided to change my diet. I was quiet lucky as I came across a video by Anthony Robbins, one of the most famous motivators, who talked about a diet called the Acid Alkaline Diet (A-A-A). Sounds difficult in the beginning, yet, has a very easy and remarkable concept. To make it even more easy to understand, I have summed up several important facts about this highly recommended diet.
- This diet is based on the PH balance of our bodies
- Enzyms are greatly affected by the level of our PH balance and will determine the state of health or disease
- What acid does, if its accumulated in the body, it weakens our cells by taking away oxygen and enzyms from them that they normally need to maintain a healthy immune system
- Foods are generally divided into acid-forming or alkalizing foods
- The body needs 80% alkaline and 20% acid forming foods
- The cause of many diseases like cancer are linked to too much acid in the body
- On the contrary, it is proven that cancer cells cannot grow in an alkaline environment
Here are some examples of Alkaline foods:
- Alkaline Vegetables: Brokolli, Cauliflower, Cucumber, Kale, Lettuce, Onions, Peas, Peppers, Spinach
- Alkaline Fruits: Apple, Banana, Berries, Melon, Lemon, Orange, Peach, Pear, Watermelon
- Alkaline Protein: Almond, Chestnuts
- Alkaline in Spices: Cinnamon, Curry, Ginger, Mustard, Sea Salt
That does not mean we should not have chocolate, meat or bread at all, it just means that we should try to reduce them to the 20% that our body still needs and let the alkaline-forming foods make up the 80%. Important is also to not fully cook vegetables like Brokolli as they will lose all their nutritional value, but to steam them, which is an easy way to prepare food.
If you are interesting in trying out this diet, there are plenty websites that will explain to you this way of eating in detail. The one I found very useful is http://www.acidalkalinediet.net/ as it has lots of recipes and explanations.
The last tipp that I think it worth knowing, is to drink water with fresh lemon every morning, right after waking up and giving the body approximately half an hour before having breakfast. What the lemon does, is alkalising the water, which would normally be acid-based. Moreover, it detoxes the body, when having one glass every morning.
From my personal experience (and I am just in the third week of my new eating pattern!!) I can honestly say, I feel much better in the sense that I feel more powerful and content. And there are so many delicious recipes, which made it easier for me to reduce my love for Pizza and Pasta.