Chai Karak is a famous sweeten milk tea made by brewing black tea with spices over low heat. It originated from India and Pakistan and has now gained popularity worldwide. I absolutely love chai karak so I was determined in finding a way to make it healthy. Here’s my version of a healthy homemade chai karak. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
CHAI KARAK RECIPE
Ingredients: Serving: 4 medium cups
5 tea bags with the string removed
3 cinnamon sticks
25 cloves of cardamom, bruised
1 liter of almond milk (Sweetened)
1/8 teaspoon of saffron (Optional)
- Place the cinnamon sticks, cardamom and the almond milk in a pot and let them soak for an hour.
- After an hour, place the pot on the stove over medium heat and bring it to a boil. Turn down the heat and allow it to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the tea bags into the pot and allow it to continue simmering for another 5 minutes.
- Strain the tea into a teapot.
- Add the saffron, stir and enjoy!
The wonderful thing about this recipe is that you can make it your own. You can add cashew milk instead of almond milk. You can also add ginger for a spicy note or fennel seeds for a hint of licorice. The combination of spices and flavors are endless!
Let me know in the comment section below if you try this recipe. I would love to know!