Often times we seem to forget that this world is a temporary place. Like my grandmother used to say, “The world is a marketplace and like every market, you’ll go back home at some point.”
Allah has made us a promise that “Every Soul will taste death” (Quran 3: 185)
Knowing this, we must ask ourselves these questions
- what will I be remembered for when I’m no longer here?
- What impact will I be leaving behind?
In this article, I’ll like to talk about a few ways we can leave the world better than you found it.
“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”— Maya Angelou
That little act of kindness might mean a whole lot to another:
- Be kind to everyone around you
- Smile to strangers
- Clear the road of harmful objects
- Visit the sick
- Offer a ride
- Feed the birds
For even the holy prophet Muhammad ﷺ said, “There is a reward for kindness to every living thing.”
Active participation in Community Service
There are various ways you can contribute and make your community a better place.
“When a man dies, his good deeds come to an end except three: ongoing charity, beneficial knowledge, and righteous offspring who will pray for him.” (Muslim)
Ongoing charity in your community may include:
- Planting of trees to provide shade for the passerby’s and a source of oxygen to the environment
- Spreading knowledge by teaching the kids in the masjid how to recite the Quran
- Donating Quran and other useful materials to the masjid
- Build a well/borehole either by donating or by actively laying the structure
“Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.” — Muhammad Ali
“And do not mix the truth with falsehood or conceal the truth while you know” [Surat Al-Baqarah, 2: 42]
By definition honesty means to be free of deceit, be truthful and sincere.
Being honest means choosing to be good at all times no matter how hard it may seem. To not steal, cheat or do evil.
- Be honest in your job
- Do not make promises or commitments you cannot keep
- Do not put yourself in a situation you will be asked to say something that isn’t true
- Live an honest life for “Honesty is the best policy.” — Benjamin Franklin